Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Profiles in History: Geoffrey Plantagenet

Most people have heard of Richard the Lionhearted, if only through Robin Hood stories. They’ve also heard of his brother, John (the phony king of England). A few less people have heard of their older brother, Henry, who predeceased them and their father, Henry II, and their mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine. But who has heard of their middle brother (between Richard and John), Geoffrey, duke of Brittany? Well, anyone who has seen The Lion in Winter has. But what do we know about this forgotten brother?

Why do I like Geoffrey so much? I think it all harkens back to the first bit of The Lion in Winterthat I ever saw. I was channel surfing and I found it on some movie station. It was the scene where Henry II is talking to Philip Augustus and all three sons start popping out from behind tapestries. I figured out who Henry was, but I assumed that Philip was either John or Richard (since I had no idea what was going on and, as far as I knew, Henry only had two sons). When three more sons presented themselves, I was beyond confused. Who the heck were these people? My parents ended up buying it and I was pleased to see that the scene made much more sense in context. I then got to school, and promptly learned about the Plantagenet kings in my second semester of Western Civ. It was an exciting moment for me.

Geoffrey II Plantagenet was the fourth son of King Henry II of England and Eleanor of Aquitaine (the eldest son died in infancy). He was married to Constance, duchess of Brittany and had three children: two daughters and his son, Arthur. Geoffrey seemed to have a passion for joining his various siblings in rebellions against their father. He even took young Henry’s side in a battle against Richard. Geoffrey was also a close friend of Philip Augustus, king of France. One version of Geoffrey’s death (at age 28) has Philip so distraught the he attempted to jump into the coffin as well.

Geoffrey’s early death is the reason that he did not become king after the death of Richard. However, due to the law of primogeniture, Geoffrey’s son, Arthur, ought to have been next in line in place of his father. However, after Geoffrey’s death, Arthur was place under the wardship of John. He was sent on a boat across the channel to England with some of John’s men, and he never arrived… Before his death, Arthur carried on the family tradition of rebellion and joined his father’s friend Philip in war against his uncle, Richard. Anyone who has seen The Lion in Winter and believes the family schisms to be exaggerated, that family had serious issues.

If Geoffrey had lived longer, would he have earned his own fun place in history alongside his brothers? I would certainly hope so, because he was definitely wily enough to deal with Philip if he had ever come to the throne. As it is, I get to adore this forgotten son of British history.

Now, you should all go do something fun and holiday related. I will sink back into my life of academia and count the days until the end of the semester, with half of me wanting them to go faster so I can go home and the other half wanting them to go slower so I have more time to study and work on my two papers.

Brenna

4 comments:

Bess said...

I didn't know there were FOUR sons! Poor unnamed eldest kid. Although, on the bright side, maybe he realized how messed up his family was a just decided to bite the big one...

Olivia said...

I didn't know either that there were four sons, although maybe I should have. I did a puppet show on Eleanor in middle school and was obsessed with her for about six months (which was a long time for eleven year old Olivia). I think I still have the puppet somewhere at home...

Gillian and Brenna, history minions extraordinaire said...

Let me admit, I didn't know there were four, either, until I did some browsing online to refresh my memory.

Brenna

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!