Thursday, November 1, 2007

In Memoriam

Late last night, I discovered that Mr. Schraft, the band director from my high school, passed away. He suffered a stroke last weekend and he had apparently been battling cancer before that. I never knew him that well since I did choir instead of band, but I know that he touched the lives of so many students all through his years of teaching.

People can say what they would like about the education system in this country, but teachers have always been, and will always be, in a unique position to change the lives of their students forever. I know that Mr. Schraft had that affect on many of the students who passed through his bands. I’m sorry that I never got to know him better.

My heart goes out to his family, as well as my sister and everyone I knew who was I band. Considering the nature of today and tomorrow (All Saints’ and All Souls’ Days), I would ask that everyone keep him and his family in your thoughts.

Rest in peace, Mr. Schraft. I know that wherever you are now, there must be music.

Brenna

No comments: